Franz Schwarzer Zither restored

Is your zither in need of repair? Do you have questions on how to best maintain your zither, or have advice? Post your questions and advice here.

Moderator: Dave

DonO

Franz Schwarzer Zither restored

Post by DonO »

Following are several photos, some "before" and some "after", of a small Schwarzer Zither that has recently been restored by Sasha Radicic of St Louis. I found this interesting zither on eBay. The body (top and bottom) of the zither is spruce with Brazilian Rosewood veneer on both top and bottom. They have polished up beautifully. The Zither has a stunning tulip-tree inlay all around the perimeter. A garland of colorful mother of pearl inlay encircles the sound hole and the top edge around the perimeter. The fretboard is ebony (with no serial number); this may be an early Schwarzer. The tuning pegs are cleaned and polished 5.5 mm. The zither is outfitted with Pyramid strings.
Attachments
Repaired Bridge.jpg
Repaired Bridge.jpg (742.32 KiB) Viewed 961 times
Refurbished topside.jpg
Refurbished topside.jpg (652.94 KiB) Viewed 961 times
BrokenBridgeTopSchwarzer.jpg
BrokenBridgeTopSchwarzer.jpg (427.76 KiB) Viewed 961 times
3_image.jpeg
3_image.jpeg (652.51 KiB) Viewed 961 times
2_image.jpeg
2_image.jpeg (674.14 KiB) Viewed 961 times
1_image.jpeg
1_image.jpeg (660.79 KiB) Viewed 961 times
Dave

Re: Franz Schwarzer Zither restored

Post by Dave »

Don,

Thank you so much for sharing these photos of your restoration. Beautiful work by Sasha! This zither at the following link appears to be from the same pattern and, without a serial number, it dates to the same period as yours. Does your instrument also have "F Schwarzer" etched on the first fret of the instrument too?

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=161

Dave
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz
DonO

Post by DonO »

Dave-

The photo of the Schwarzer you have shown is indeed very similar in shape, size and decoration. Does it also have tulip tree inlay on the perimeter side?

My little Schwarzer does not have the "F Schwarzer" inscription at the first fret as does yours. The carrying cases, though, are exactly the same including shape of storage compartment cover shape, and red color of the lid inside.

Any idea of the year yours was made? I would surmise would also be same for mine.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Don,

The photos of the other Schwarzer were shared two years ago, so I'm not sure about the tulip inlay on the side of the instrument. As for dating the instrument, the lack of a serial number provides a clue, as does the maker's label citing his award of 1873. Considering the maker's label, we know the instrument was made after the Vienna exposition. Schwarzer started to place serial numbers on the fretboard of his instruments in July, 1885, the first of which was numbered 2001 as he estimated he had manufactured 2000 instruments by 1885. Without any other marks, it seems the best we can do is to place your zither sometime between 1873 to 1885. Thanks a bunch for sharing your zither photos!

Dave
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz