Other types of zithers

A forum for all those other zithers....

Moderator: Dave

DanSymonds

Other types of zithers

Post by DanSymonds »

I am wondering whether anyone might be able to point me towards a source to learn about other types of zithers. I am interested in learning the scale (string) length (nut to bridge) and the tuning and pitch for the bass zither and the quint zither. Is the alte zither another name for the concert zither (ie, "alpine zither")? I gather the harfenzither is simply the concert zither with an extended bass off the soundboard and a perhaps a slightly longer string length. Is there an ultzither? I am basically interested in any of these variants and any help will be much appreciated. Thanks Dan
Rudy Mueller

Re: Other types of zithers

Post by Rudy Mueller »

The May 2019 issue of Musik & tradition (Bayrisch-Alpenländischer Volksmusic Verein e.V,vol 48, pp28-29 www.volksmusikverein.com ) has a 2 page color article entitled "Kuriose Musikinstrumente". The eight zither-related instruments photographed go back as far as the Scheitholz-Zither (late 17 early 18 centuries) to the more "modern" 2 piece "Mantelzither".

The listed source of the photographs is STUDIA-INSTRUMENTORUM.DE, photographs from Heiner Oberhorner...with the comment "
Fortsetzung folgt"...i.e., "to be continued". Hopefully more info on this thread will come up; stay tuned.

rudi
Rudy Mueller

Re: Other types of zithers

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Aaargh.....who am I to tell a bunch of zither players to "stay tuned" ? 8-)

r

the pun is the lowest form of humor....anon.