Practice Video - Danza Morena

This forum will provide lessons for getting started and exercises for gaining proficiency.

Moderator: Dave

Andy

Practice Video - Danza Morena

Post by Andy »

Hello Everyone!

Hope you're all holding up well. Really wish I could say that the end of all this nonsense is in sight, but at least here in Texas, things are not going in the right direction. All the more reason to shelter in place and practice, practice, practice. Here is a song I had been working on from the Psalteria Spiel 6 Band B book called Danza Morena. Have a new book coming, hopefully in the next month, oversea's mail has been a treat with everything going on.

https://youtu.be/QbeHMB8v9Eg

Stay safe!
- Andy
NutmegCT

Re: Practice Video - Danza Morena

Post by NutmegCT »

Bravo Andy! Hands and fingers look at ease, and to me the zither sound is richer than in earlier videos.

Now if we could get more people out of the bars and off the beaches, maybe to stay inside and enjoy zither music!
Tom M.
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Andy, you are a master! Congratulations!

Rudi
Andy

Post by Andy »

Thanks Tom,
Fingering is definitely starting to feel more natural, I find that as my confidence has grown, I am putting less pressure on the frets.

Rudi,
You are far too kind. I have a long road ahead before mastering anything. Every time I look ahead at some of my great grandfathers music books, I can see just how deep this rabbit hole goes, and in so many ways I feel like I have barely started. That is a lot of the allure though, I feel like the zither is a puzzle that just gets more challenging as you go.

- Andy
velocio

Post by velocio »

Compliments, Andy! Your progress is motivating for the rest of us.
In this spirit, if anybody else wants to see the score to follow practicing in Andy's footsteps (without waiting until the order of the Spielbuch 6B arrives), look at the first sample page on https://www.stretta-music.com/en/heinz- ... 16792.html !
Evelyn

Post by Evelyn »

Hi Andy

Well done, and I am very pleased for you! I note that this piece requires the playing of individual accompaniment strings (is accompaniment the correct word - or is it open strings? ) rather than the full set, as it were. This will prepare you for learning to play different types of accompaniments which require the use of strings either individually or in set/given sequences.

Stay safe y'all.

Evelyn

PS - It's good to know that you are all still around - hoping to hear from Ken too.
kenbloom

Post by kenbloom »

Beautiful playing and using the accompaniment strings for pedals and counter parts is one of the great resources of the zither. I use that approacvh a lot when playing O'Carolan tunes to get a more harp-like sound. During this time of staying at home, having an instrument that is "the band in your hand" is very satisfying. You haven't heard much from me as I have been"chained" to my workbench. Since the pandemic started I have had a lot of orders for instruments so Gepeto has been busy. Keep it up you guys. I love being a voyeur in this world and I will offer help wherever I can. Every one stay safe and healthy!

Ken Bloom
http://boweddulcimer.org.
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Still "hunkered down".

"Friends", some more cavalier then others, are doing "small" parties and gatherings (25-100 attendees). Some of the more vocal have been life-long cultural friends (don't interfere with my rights). Offensive?? You bet! Regrets? not us; over 80, over weight, etc, etc., etc.

Practice has really slowed down; but, autumn and winter are a'coming. Viral depression? Meh! My father stopped playing at about age 70 (1975, in "good" times) and by 75 was "kaput". Approaching the down slope, I've started doing some really basic familiar melodies, with elemental accompaniment. Kind of like Darr at the beginning. The single open strings can sound better. Should have done this years ago .

Take care, stay healthy,

Rudi
kenbloom

Post by kenbloom »

Hi rudi,
I'm glad to hear that you are still at it and staying safe through all of this. I'm doing the same. I'm still doing a lot of instrument building and I have begun to teach online, both classes and privately. I stay very busy and it's good I live in a small town as it is far easier to maintain social distancing and keep my excursions out of the house to a minimum. I'm only 75 and feel fine although I have slowed down quite a bit. Do stay safe and keep the flame burning! There are too few of us.

Ken Bloom
http://www.boweddulcimer.org
Evelyn

Post by Evelyn »

Hello Rudi and Ken

This is a flying visit as it were, just to say that it is good to hear from other group members.

As a zither player in the UK, I have always been on my ownsome. Concerning parties and gatherings, I am not a very social animal, so am not missing either. Living in a rural area, it is relatively easy for me to avoid crowds. Fortunately, we have a reasonably well-stocked village shop, as well a farm shop nearby. I'd rather pay a little more for my groceries than catch something nasty. Although the wearing of face coverings in shops is mandatory in the UK, not everyone actually wears one (there are always some!) ....

Keep safe you all!

Evelyn