Practice Video - Basket of Turf

This forum will provide lessons for getting started and exercises for gaining proficiency.

Moderator: Dave

Rudy Mueller

Re: Practice Video - Basket of Turf

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Great comments from all. Try to be comfortable.

I am still using a version of the portable table described elsewhere on this site. The current open top is of 3/4 inch (19 mm) thick cedar, and its upper surface is 24 inches (60 cm) from the floor. I also use a standard straight-back wooden kitchen chair, whose front edge is 17.5 inches (45 cm) from the floor, usually playing with the right hand bridge centered in front of my chest, and the left hand edge of the zither off-set back about 4 inches in from the table edge. This leaves my forearms at a slight downward angle, and fingers pointing slightly downward. This may not be comfortable for others. The instrument is a few inches above my lap; the distance from the top of the chair to the top of the table is a mere ~6-7 inches (~15 cm).

Although a lot depend on personal body structure (most of my body height is above the waist, 6'1" tall ,with 30 inch inseam), Ludwig K (considerably shorter) has used this table several times on Zither Sundays, with no complaints.

Rudi

p.s. for humidity, I hang two damp wash cloths over the back edge of the table, adding water when dry. Tuning has been exceptionally stable. The instrument and table become one unit, a micro-environment. I am fortunate to have a wood shop; if the dampness damages this table, I'll just re-finish it or build another.
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

I am electronically challenged. Might I-phones be a possibility?

rudi
NutmegCT

Post by NutmegCT »

Rudi - thanks for the suggestions!

Would it be possible to post photos to show what you're describing?

Thanks.
Tom M.
NutmegCT

Post by NutmegCT »

Rudi - iphones are fun, but they're only one-to-one. You'd need to post the photos here, or videos on YouTube, so we can share them.

Tom M.
Andy

Post by Andy »

Hey Tom,

I think in this case, playing with your finger tips means the fleshy bit at the end of your finger nail. Steffen Hempel is a good example of someone who plays on his finger tips, and he has a lot of videos with some really great shots of his fingers. This video of his, Gauklertanz, is a good example.

https://youtu.be/djW8pR08Z3k

- Andy
NutmegCT

Post by NutmegCT »

Andy - good example!

To me, he's not sounding the string with finger *tips* - he's using the right side of the finger's tip, the right corner of the fingernail. In other words, he's got his fingers angled at the string, using the right side of the tip, instead of pointing straight down, using the finger tip itself.

All my life I'd thought the finger tip was the actual end of the finger, under the front edge of the nail.

That Gauklertanz is a *great* bit of fun! Anyway, thanks for the video. Something I note with professionals (as Steffen), is that they seem to use a lot more power in sounding the strings, than beginners use.

Now let's see some photos and videos from experienced forum members illustrating hand and finger stroke details!

Tom M.
Evelyn

Post by Evelyn »

NutmegCT wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:15 amNow let's see some photos and videos from experienced forum members illustrating hand and finger stroke details!
Right. I'll make a start. Never paid much attention to it, but comparing my right-hand finger positions with Andy's, I note that my fingers are sort of swooping onto the strings and gripping them, while Andy's position appears to be considerably flatter and his fingers look as if strumming/stroking the strings rather than gripping them.

Ever tried taking photos with your left hand? Very awkward ... I hope they nevertheless illustrate what I wrote.
The attachment 003.JPG is no longer available
Attachments
003.JPG
003.JPG (211.06 KiB) Viewed 20019 times
Last edited by Evelyn on Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evelyn

Post by Evelyn »

This is the second photo, which shows the areas on my right-hand fingers which meet the relevant strings.
(Again, this second photo would not attach to the previous post.)

008.JPG
008.JPG (202.62 KiB) Viewed 20017 times
NutmegCT

Post by NutmegCT »

Thank you Evelyn! It's the right side of the finger tip that sounds the strings when you play.

I also notice the angle of your middle finger quite different from Andy's. It appears your middle finger is bent at the first knuckle off the hand, while Andy's looks almost straight.

Tom M.
Evelyn

Post by Evelyn »

This video shows quite well, I think, how the fingers grip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlh1JiZyA00