the goal?

This forum will provide lessons for getting started and exercises for gaining proficiency.

Moderator: Dave

NutmegCT

the goal?

Post by NutmegCT »

At my (very very early) stage of learning, should I be able to play right hand (fingers 4 - 3 - 2) G chord followed by right hand C chord (for example) over and over without looking at the strings? Is this supposed to feel "natural" and automatic?

Thanks.
Tom M.
Rudy Mueller

Re: the goal?

Post by Rudy Mueller »

It's part of developing hand/eye coordination. I had the advantage of having in memory a collection of Schnaderhüpfl, or limericks.....C C then down to G G then back to C C . Get out the metronome.

Don't have Schnaderhüpfl? Try "twas the night before Christmas.... and all through the house...not a creature was stirring...not even a mouse...".etc, or any multi-verse simple song like that. Repeat x 10^2

Like learning multiplication tables, this initial stage of learning can be brutal. Even Einstein had to sit down one day and figure out 2x2=4. Once you've got C and G down, try F and C.......then...

Long range goal: it's June, but not too early....start looking at accompaniment for Silent Night in C (C G F) and then separately try working the melody into your scales.

Rudi
Kennethpauls

Post by Kennethpauls »

King Keyes told me he used the '10 pennies' method: Lay 10 pennies out next to your zither. Every time you perform that repetitive task (like fourth finger alternating between C and G with each chord), take one penny away. Therefore you have a quest, and you can see the progress occurring.
Musicmaker

Post by Musicmaker »

As I repeated exercises over and over, I marked each one with a tick until I had played it twenty times a day.
I have now found a good use for my hand made Chinese Abbacus!
Pete
https://flic.kr/p/281MiRo
NutmegCT

Post by NutmegCT »

Thanks gents. I appreciate all the practice suggestions, but I was only asking if my goal should be to alternate those two chords over and over without looking at the strings.

So from all the recommendations, I guess my goal is right?

I should be able to play the two chords back and forth without looking?

If so, I'll have to move backwards again to try to play catch-up!

Tom M.
Musicmaker

Post by Musicmaker »

Dear Tom.
I am no expert but the answer to your question is.....
YES!
The end goal being able to sight read without looking at the hands.
Personally, in the learning stages I have to learn meausure by meausure looking at the notes and then get my hands to play them. Both hands.
By the time i have learnt it I know it off by heart so then can look at my hands.
I sometimes close my eyes and practice with the right hand you are asking about.
The layout of the chord system on the Zither is similar to playing the accordeon.
When i learnt how to play my Hohner 120 bass there was no way i could see the bass buttons.
No option but to feel for it.
Hope this helps.
Pete