May 18 video!

This forum will provide lessons for getting started and exercises for gaining proficiency.

Moderator: Dave

NutmegCT

May 18 video!

Post by NutmegCT »

Here's my latest - Darr 23/4.

https://youtu.be/E9mZdp5spXE

I'd appreciate some critical comments and suggestions on RH thumb and thumb ring position, as well as hand position. To me it's much more difficult to control the RH fingers, and prevent hand touching the strings, if I keep the saddle (heel) of my hand on the bridge.

Thanks.
Tom M.
Rudy Mueller

Re: May 18 video!

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Agreed. Do you practice with a metronome?

Rudi
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Is that a piece of carpeting underneath your zither? Beautiful instrument, by the way.

rudi
NutmegCT

Post by NutmegCT »

Gruss Rudi.

I do use a metronome after I've found the notes and can play several measures at once. Metronome doesn't help me find the notes, however!

Under the zither is a bit of rubber-backed workshop rug, to keep the zither points from scratching the table top. I realize it affects the sound, but at this point I'm just trying to get the fingers working right.

Any comments on finger and/or thumb position and action?

Thanks.
Tom M.
(zither is a "Schuster & Co")
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Forget the table....says he who is about to trash the two tables built this spring...cedar is very light, sounds great, but a little too "springy" , at least the stuff sold locally here. It may be great for bows (Feil und Bogen für unsera Landsleut), but has a lot of (too much) flexibility.

By the way, there are rubber footed pegs if there is an issue with family heirloom furniture. Kyger has the address.

When I perceive that I'm in a pile of manure, the metronome usually pulls me out.

Rudi
Musicmaker

Post by Musicmaker »

RUDI.
ALWAYS GREAT TO HEAR FROM YOU.
I REALLY LIKE YOUR TABLE.
MY CEDAR TOP TABLE IS 3/4" THICK WHICH DOES SOUND GOOD.
THE TOP IS ANTIQUE AND SO IS THE REST OF IT.
WELL SEASONED.
TOM..I AM DOING A VIDEO RIGHT NOW ON WHAT I AM DOING.
THANKS FOR POSTING MATE AND YOU ARE DOING REALLY WELL.
PETE
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Thanks Pete,

With all the recommendations about solid top tables , yours included, I'll have give it a try. One with a 3/4 inch (19 mm) cedar top would still be quite light. The search is on for some really clear (no knots, divots) cedar, which is plentiful here, and a nearby mill can take it to any thickness desired. The village to the south of us is "Cedarburg".

Rudi
Andy

Post by Andy »

Morning Tom!

Your hand position and finger motions are defiantly improving. Your hand seems much steadier than where you started just a few weeks ago.

Watching your right hand while playing, it looks like you may be dropping a note on your accompaniment chords now and again. It’s really hard to get one finger to strike two strings at once while all the others are striking one.

Keep it up! Morning Zither is a great way to start the day.
- Andy
NutmegCT

Post by NutmegCT »

Thanks Andy!

Should RH fingers 2, 3, and 4 all be using the "rest stroke" when playing accompaniment strings? Finger 4 does ok, but 2 and 3 don't.

With my hand touching the bridge, I find it nearly impossible to play all three strings with rest stroke, so sometimes I just "brush" them past the strings. Rest stroke on three strings is pretty near a pipe dream.

Thanks.
Tom M.