Beginner Video - Tom M.

This forum will provide lessons for getting started and exercises for gaining proficiency.

Moderator: Dave

NutmegCT

Re: Beginner Video - Tom M.

Post by NutmegCT »

Hi Andy - Sorry I wasn't clear. Yes, I recognize those accompaniment chords, and I understand how the finger placement should remain unchanged as the hand "shifts" from chord to chord.

But that's tough for me - moving the hand/fingers as a unit, when changing from one chord to another. I can repeat the change a dozen times, but when I add melody, the "pattern" often falls apart.

For example, I can do Darr #23 "pretty" well, as the LH stays on the A string and I "know" where they go. So playing the RH accompaniment strings (G chord and D chord) goes smoothly. But in Darr #26, LH uses D as well as A string notes, so as I "feel" for those, the RH chords start crumbling.

I can sure see why zitherists might ignore the right hand accompaniment notes, and just choose to play "the chords that sound good"!

What might be helpful: an experienced zitherist giving me a specific, simple, Darr (or Hintemeyer, or Harris, or Taborsky, or Kabatek) exercise to learn, with points to be careful about. Then I post the video of it and same zitherist makes an evaluation.

Thanks.
Tom M.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi Tom, I’d say you’re doing very well! It was probably a year before I could play anything that resembled a song. I had the additional hurdle of not knowing how to read music. Lot’s of hunting and pecking for me, but I kept at it. :-D

It’s all there, just work on fluidity. One thing that may help, and this is what was taught to me, is to avoid playing open strings. So, if a g is called for, get that by fretting the c string. Likewise, fret your d string for those a notes. Personally, I think it sounds much better than the twwwaaang one gets by playing an open a, but that’s just my personal preference.

I’ve offered before to others, but if you want a lesson in the basics, I’m available on Skype as “zitherus.”

Keep up the good work!
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz
NutmegCT

Post by NutmegCT »

Thanks Dave for your comments and suggestions! "Keep practicing", along with specific suggestions, is a great help.

Regarding the Skype offer, I'm sending you a PM.

Thanks.
Tom M.