Chords are Hard!

This forum will provide lessons for getting started and exercises for gaining proficiency.

Moderator: Dave

Andy

Chords are Hard!

Post by Andy »

I feel like I’ve spent the past three weeks playing this little tune, tripping over my fingers and cursing like a sailor, but it’s finally starting to sound like something.

Take away from this lesson: Chords require confident fingers, and confident fingers require practice, practice, practice. Also, I need to toy around with the gain on the new microphone.

https://youtu.be/WD7bIRzSbgI
NutmegCT

Re: Chords are Hard!

Post by NutmegCT »

Andy - as I mentioned in my YouTube comment:

That really is progress since Alles neu macht der Mai. Bravo! Mic gain doesn't seem a problem to my ears, and I like the differentiation you make between melody and accompaniment. I hear you on the "three weeks" bit; I feel the same about my own progress.

As you mentioned in your email, keeping track of the "home finger", and using rest stroke, does help me. But finding the other notes of the chord with the two other fingers is still quite a hurdle for me. In theory, my right hand should move as a unit, but it doesn't!

Well done on your progress!
Tom M.
Andy

Post by Andy »

Hey all,

I was curious about how you would play some of these dyads I am seeing. For example, here in ‘Der treue Husar’, the very first dyad is E and G. These exist on the same string, I am confused about how you would form this. The next one, E and A seems to make sense, I assume E on the D string and A on the A string.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated! Thanks y’all!
- Andy
Attachments
IMG_0420.jpg
IMG_0420.jpg (466.75 KiB) Viewed 1156 times
NutmegCT

Post by NutmegCT »

Andy - you are moving forward for sure!

Until more expert players reply, I'd say you play the E G combination by moving your left hand out of "first" position. So you play the G with 4 on the D string, and play the E with 2 on the G string. Then just use 3 to play the A, leaving 2 on the E. Anyway, makes sense to me.

Let's see how others would do this.

Tom M.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi Andy, you'll find as you practice zither pieces that much of it is a finger puzzle. For chord progressions, try to come up with fingering that promotes fluidity, not choppiness. I had a look at the piece you posted this evening and have some suggestions, though I would say there are other variations that can be offered. As Tom pointed out, use your g and d string mainly for these chords.
Husar_finger_positions.jpg
Husar_finger_positions.jpg (491.73 KiB) Viewed 1113 times
Best,

Dave
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz
NutmegCT

Post by NutmegCT »

Dave - to help me understand what Andy is asking, in that Treue Husar, would the zitherist actually play all those right hand notes at the same time? Four notes of accompaniment, with two notes of melody, all at once?

Or does the zitherist "strum" the accompaniment like on a guitar? It almost seems impossible to try to play all six notes at the same time, especially with the finger position jumping in the left hand. Wow.

Thanks.
Tom M.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Tom, yes, all at once. It's really not that difficult as long as your right-hand position is correct. Here's a photo to illustrate the hand position over the strings. 4th over the G, 3rd for the b and 2nd for d and g. With the heel pad of your palm on the bridge and fingers in position, all at once, pull toward you and downward at a 45 degree angle. Your 4th will land on C and you're ready for the next chord.

A good exercise for the right hand is to break up the chord as well. Say, for example, play the G and b together, followed by d and g.
right_hand_position.jpg
right_hand_position.jpg (150.21 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
Dave
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz
NutmegCT

Post by NutmegCT »

Thanks Dave. Funny, I can break the chord up easily. That's the way they're written in the early stages of the Darr.

But playing all four notes at once is tough, as the fingers don't stay in position when they return to play the chord again. Relatively easy to play G chord to C chord for example, as the fingers just move toward you. But going G to C and back to G, or playing G to C to D, for example, is difficult when the fingers/hand move back away from you.

I just found your PM reply. Thanks. I didn't get notice of your reply, so just found it this morning. I'll reply a bit later.

Tom M.
Andy

Post by Andy »

Hey Dave,

Thank you for the finger notation, that is a great insite! I know the Treue Hussar piece is a ways away, but I do enjoy knowing how to tackle obstacles before hitting them. Also, I completely agree about fluidity. I’ve taken a step back and have been forcing myself to to incorporate the Keyes fingering method into my lessons. Hopefully that will help even things out.

Just about to a point where I feel confident enough playing the “Für die Kleinen” lesson to move beyond it. I’ll post a follow up once I do.

- Andy