Distance learning!

This forum will provide lessons for getting started and exercises for gaining proficiency.

Moderator: Dave

NutmegCT

Distance learning!

Post by NutmegCT »

Good morning all.

Could I post a video of myself playing a short exercise from Schneider's Zither School?

I think I'm actually making progress, but it sure is slow going. Two steps forward, one step back, as they say. Just remembering where to find those accompaniment strings while I'm playing, is at least half the battle.

Maybe from the video I could get some suggestions for improvements in technique. This might also push me to make progress on specific details, rather than "shooting in the dark".

If nothing more, my video might provide great comic relief!

Thanks.
Tom M.
Dave

Re: Distance learning!

Post by Dave »

Hi Tom,

Videos can be fairly large. How about Dropbox? It allows you to share large files via their site. Once uploaded, you'll be able to generate a link that will enable everyone to access it. It's a good idea for distance learning. I'm sure everyone would enjoy seeing a video of your progress!

https://www.dropbox.com/login
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz
NutmegCT

Post by NutmegCT »

Thanks Dave. I think it's probably easier for all to just click on the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NheOP27ceZU

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! I stumbled through this exercise about 25 times today, then decided to record it. And even then my fingers seem to work backwards every few seconds. Maybe I should take up underwater basket weaving ...

Progress is a very subjective term - let the merriment begin!

Thanks all.
Tom M.
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

That is Progress!

r
NutmegCT

Post by NutmegCT »

A hearty thanks to Rudi Mueller for his help today in my zither adventure!

We talked about many things, including how the thumb ring should fit, which is certainly not explained well in the method books I've found.

Also, we noted how non-intuitive most method books are. The right hand can be taught relatively easily to find a basic two, three, or four note chord. But most methods emphasize finding specific notes, not finding a good hand position.

There's a reason that certain strings are "red". But many of the method books ignore the reason, and proceed all too quickly into playing notes not easily related to the red strings.

So many more things to learn - and I really appreciate Rudi spending an hour with me discussing so many details.

(And, for that sauerbraten recipe!)

Tom M.
PS - I'm betting that a majority of zitherists learn to play first "by ear", and gradually learn to play from written music. But the method books I've seen ignore the ear, and concentrate on the mechanics first.
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

When you teach, you learn twice. My learning: the ergonomic thought that went into the planning of the zither. Designed for the human hand.

Thank you for the opportunity.

Rudi
kenbloom

Post by kenbloom »

I basically taught myself to play so I know what a lot of the pitfalls are. One thing I noticed in the video. Your right index finger never used a rest stroke until the last two notes you played. A rest stroke is where the finger comes to rest on an adjacent string after striking the inteneded string. I helps a lot in keeping you oriented. You are using rest strokes with your thumb and with your ring finger. Try it and see if using the rest stroke with your index finger doesn't help keep you in position.
I had the benefit of doing a lot of finger style guitar playing before I ever encountered the zither which meant that I had a very good mental picture of what I was trying to do. I'm still a lousy reader on the zither but I don't have a lot of trouble coming up with arrangements. I know what you mean about the books. They are rather dry and they don't tell you the kind of detail you really need, especially at the beginning. That is what is so valuable about this forum. We've all been where you are now and remember it! I hope this little suggestion helps you.

Ken Bloom
http://www.boweddulcimer.org
NutmegCT

Post by NutmegCT »

One small step for a man ...

https://youtu.be/GiqPDDhjRDA

I think it shows a bit of progress, and I'm using rest strokes as often as possible. Patience! I need patience!

Tom M.
kenbloom

Post by kenbloom »

Great! Definite progress. Try and leave your index and middle fingers in place after you have used them and while you are playing the bass note. The more contact you have with the instrument the greater the chance that you;ll hit the right string. If you watch great zither players carefully you'll see that once fingers have played a string they often stay put while another finger is playing the next bit. The less you move your hand and depend on the fingers to make the moves the greater your accuracy will be. Again, just my 2p.

Ken Bloom
http://www.boweddulcimer.org
HeidiK

Post by HeidiK »

Thank you for posting the video and showing your progress. That’s really interesting for me too, because I do learn just by seeing you play und recognizing what you’re struggling with. And then it’s great to read the feedback you get from advanced players like Ken.

I remember you said you’re learning by yourself - with no teacher. So I think the more important it is to get some feedback. Like in this forum. Or see other players begin. Non-Zitherplayers are no help at this level. They can not imagine how difficult this instrument is to learn. That’s my experience.
And really: I think you’re doing very, very well! And I’m you sure, you do have the patience it needs.