Patience!

This forum will provide lessons for getting started and exercises for gaining proficiency.

Moderator: Dave

NutmegCT

Patience!

Post by NutmegCT »

Happy new year all.

Please send me some extra patience. I'm slowly working my way up through page 10 in Kabatek. But man my progress is slow!

I can *almost* get the bass and accompaniment strings under control, but then my thumb has problems staying on the correct melody string. I assume the notes written for the melody A string are for the *second* A, closer to the D?

The thumb ring fits well, I think. But I usually find myself with my thumb on the *wrong* A string, or even on the D, and thus I play a dull klunk rather than the note at the fret where my left hand fingers lie.

It's amazing how clumsy I feel. I can do the bass/accompaniment strings pretty well, and the melody strings pretty well - even with my eyes closed. But put all together and it's a train wreck.

Is this something that will "get better with time"? I hope! Due to blisters and string cuts, I can only practice about 15 minutes a day. Calluses will help, but they're slow in developing.

Just call me Fumble Fingers.
Tom
Rudy Mueller

Re: Patience!

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Happy New Year Tom,

You are at a critical point in your journey. Getting the bass/accompaniment and melody lines together is major, period. When approaching new music, some frequently run through just the bass line, several times until, as you say, they're comfortable, do the same with the melody line, then piece the two together.

With "Tyrolienne", would it help to do just the first measure 5-10+ times (bass and melody, until comfortable) then add the second measure and repeat both together 5-10+ times etc? (When breaking in new Schuhplattlers, we start with hits 1-2-3 repeating several times, then 1-2-3-4-5 repeating several times, then 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 etc. essentially breaking the whole thing down into measures.) übung macht den Meister.

Yes, start off with the second a string; the first will be added later. If it's really an issue, would it be more comfortable to remove the first a string for a few weeks? Rings should fit well. Bronze rings can be adjusted slightly, Stainless Steel rings might snap at even the sight of a pliers.

It takes a while to develop callouses...and they disappear even faster. To start, 15 minutes per day is minimal, but you can build from there. The importance is a sense of accomplishment on a regular basis. Have you seen Jane's advice on organizing your practice sessions on the Zither.US site? really helpful in maintaining positive attitude.

Tom, hang in there, we've all shared your pain. Get through this, you'll have a good foundation, and you'll be on your way.

Rudi
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

addendum: the d "KLUNK" strikes us all...and KLUNK is about the best word to be used. r
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Table height?

This is a matter of personal comfort, but I find it most comfortable to use a lower table, and have a slight downward angle on the left forearm, from the elbow to the wrist, so the fingers of the left hand are pointed downward (not sideward) towards the strings, and to sit just about centered on the right hand bridge. You can lower the table, or raise the seat.

Also a matter of personal comfort, to have the table at a slight outward angle, right to left.

These are personal choices, others may differ, and for good reason. Be comfortable.

r
NutmegCT

Post by NutmegCT »

Noch einmal, vielen Dank!

I actually just made it through Tyrolienne and Marsch on page 10, with nary a klunk! Blood is almost dry on the strings after only a few minutes! :lol:

Several of the method books recommend pointing the lower right corner of the instrument toward the stomach, so that's what I've been doing. But I'll play around with zither position and see how that goes.

I've been practicing while standing, as that's how I feel more comfortable. Zither at waist height. I'll try sitting as you describe, altho' when I first tried that the zither was then about 8 inches above my waist line, felt very "high", and my arms were at a triple bend: upper arm raised, forearm horizontal, and wrists lowered, a kind of zig zag. Doesn't seem "power flow efficient".

If sitting, how high above my waist line should the strings be?

One thing that's probably psychological: as a cellist for over 40 years, the idea of higher pitches on a string by moving from 4 to 3 to 2 to 1 is quite a change!

Uebung macht den Meister, genau! Aber auch weinen, klagen, sorgen, u. zagen!

Thanks!
Tom M.
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Not unusual at all seeing zithrists performing standing. Whatever works best. r