String action heights

This forum will provide lessons for getting started and exercises for gaining proficiency.

Moderator: Dave

leteus

String action heights

Post by leteus »

As someone who has recently acquired a Sandner Concert Zither K3M, I am curious to know what would be considered a normal action height i.e. height of 1st A string above the fret board at the first fret. My reason for asking is that as a nylon string classical guitar player I'm used to developing calluses, but I'm really surprised by the amount of effort to finger the zithers steel strings and of course the accompanying soreness/pain, and was wondering if the action height of the Sandner is excessive at approx 1.00mm at 1st fret and 3.00mm at last fret, or does this constitute a normal action height?

Regards
leteus
kenbloom

Re: String action heights

Post by kenbloom »

The action height you describe is fairly typical. The tension on the strings of a classical guitar is quite low and thus very easy on the fingers when compared to any instrument that has steel strings on it. I find the zither to be about the same as playing any of my steel stringed guitars. My three course bouzouki is much easier on the fingers but is strung much more lightly. If you practice a lot on your zither, your calluses will soon develop more depth and this will make playing your classical guitar much easier. This is definitely a case where "perseverance furthers"!

Ken Bloom
leteus

Post by leteus »

Thank you Ken for the comment.............Sounds very much like, An apple a day........or in this case a practice a day makes the pain go away!

Leteus
kenbloom

Post by kenbloom »

Aptly put. Developing calluses is basically dealing with a low grade injury. It can help to take some vitamin E to help speed the healing. Just do as much practice as it takes to get a bit sore and stop. That should heal by the next day and then you can go on a bit longer. When the tips of your fingers start to get shiny, you're there. Good zithing (is that a word?) !!

Ken