Gutmann Zither-Schule

This forum will provide lessons for getting started and exercises for gaining proficiency.

Moderator: Dave

NutmegCT

Gutmann Zither-Schule

Post by NutmegCT »

As a newcomer, I may have overlooked this on the forum. But today I found the complete Gutmann Zitherschule, op. 170, available on Google Books:

https://play.google.com/books/reader?pr ... pg=GBS.PA1

I find it has some useful beginner exercises for right hand chords and arpeggios, something I've felt lacking in some other methods I've tried.

Tom in CT
kenbloom

Re: Gutmann Zither-Schule

Post by kenbloom »

Hi Tom,

That is a good book and has some very helpful things in it. Let me recommend a series of books that really helped me a lot. Ludwig Karlbrunner past these on to me. The author is Willy Hintermeyer and the title is Der Weg zur Virtuositat. There are three volumes. Book one will probably be fine for a while. It is all about the right hand and gives you some very thoughtful and organized ways of doing scales and lines with the accompaniment and bass strings. It is nicely laid out These books were real eye openers for me and gave me an organized way of going about right hand development. I don't know if they are still in print or not. If you can't find them, let me know.

Ken Bloom
NutmegCT

Post by NutmegCT »

Hi Ken - thanks for the recommendation. I did find several "Band 2" (volume 2) of the Hintermeyer available for purchase in Europe. The only Volume 1 I found, shows postage as unusually high ($55 to send a 5 euro book to USA!)

I think Volume 1 would be the one I'd find most useful, if it has exercises for the right hand in finding and playing accompaniment chords and arpeggios, etc.

Tom
Dave

Post by Dave »

Following up with Ken's recommendation, in the "Notensuche:" field at the following link enter Hintermeyer and click "Los!". The books mentioned should be returned. I've ordered sheet music from this site before, though it may take a few weeks for the order to be dispatched. They also accept PayPal upon checkout and shipping is reasonable.

https://notenbuch.de

Dave
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz
NutmegCT

Post by NutmegCT »

Thanks Gentlemen. I've ordered the Hintermeyer Bk 1, and the Schneider Bk 1. Total shipping for both was only 7 euro.

The dollar/euro exchange seems very good these days!

Tom in Connecticut
kenbloom

Post by kenbloom »

When I started with book 1, I just took each exercise and did it with a metronome. I started with a speed that was so slow I couldn't mess it up and then proceeded to gradually increase the speed. After a while I began to see the reasoning behind what I was doing and began to apply it to some arrangements of my tunes. It gave me a whole new outlook on the zither and then made it possible to start looking at chords that had lots of altered tones in them. I'm glad you found the info for a reasonable price. This forum is wonderful!

Ken Bloom
DonO

Post by DonO »

Tom-

Which website did you locate for purchasing Book 1 of the Hintermeyer? I was looking last night and found a site that was vending Book 1 and Book 2 (each for 6.54 EUR) and the shipping to send both was 7 EUR; however it appears that they want a Pin & Chip credit card. So I wasn't able to purchase them. I think the site was
www.alle-noten.eu

Don
NutmegCT

Post by NutmegCT »

Hi Don - I used NotenBuch.de as recommended.

I paid using PayPal, which does the currency conversion so you know the USD cost immediately.

By the way, there are some overseas vendors who charge an arm and a leg for shipping; one would charge 35 euros :shock: for shipping a 5 euro 30 page car manual for my Humber from France to USA.

Tom in CT
DonO

Post by DonO »

Tom-

Thank you for the referral to NotenBuch.de . Will check them out!

How are you progressing with your Zither? Much snow up your way? We were spared down here in the SW corner of the state.

Don
NutmegCT

Post by NutmegCT »

Snow? Here in northeast Connecticut we got about 3 feet on Tuesday, with 5 foot drifts. Not fun! As always, I get my 200 foot driveway cleared, and the DOT truck pushes another mound onto the threshold as it races by. I've attached a photo of my snowplow stopped in its tracks. oy

My zither progress is slow, especially as the dry winter air causes my fingertips to crack and bleed. Now I'm actually just doing right hand work, as the left hand is much too painful.

Tom
Attachments
Irresistible force meets unmovable object.
Irresistible force meets unmovable object.
BlowerSmall.jpg (129.25 KiB) Viewed 2743 times