Gutmann Zither-Schule

This forum will provide lessons for getting started and exercises for gaining proficiency.

Moderator: Dave

Rudy Mueller

Re: Gutmann Zither-Schule

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Heidi, you are already a great asset to the community.

Rudi Mueller
NutmegCT

Post by NutmegCT »

Heidi (and others!)

This is probably self evident to zither meisters, but -

If a method book were to begin the right hand accompaniment instruction with "Here is the position of fingers 4 3 and 2 on the bass and accompaniment strings for the basic G chord. With fingers in that same position, move the hand one string away from you for D chords, or one string closer to you for C chords." - it would be so much simpler and clearer for a beginner like me!

Several of the methods say something like "put 4 on the 16th string, 3 on the 8th string, 2 on the 5th and 6th string". That implies you have to count all the strings each time you place the fingers.

But if you learn the "hand position" as a unit, and move back and forth, it comes much faster!

Just my thought.
Tom M.
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

...and a good one!
r
HeidiK

Post by HeidiK »

Hello fellow zither beginners,
to show you an example of how I try to learn the zither with a more visual approach, here is a chord worksheet I did for "The House of the Rising sun":
ZitherChordVisualApproach2_HouseRisingSun.pdf
(110.98 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
I found a free guitar music sheet for that song (http://www.guitaracademy.co.uk/PDFPages ... 2_pg43.pdf), which is not too difficult to play on the fretboard.
Right now I practice to play the melody together with the chords. Always looking at both pages, melody and my coloured chord work sheet. Hope you find this helpful, too.

I'm also experimenting with writing tablature for the zither fretboard, which I could do with my favourite notation program "Melody Assistant". I tried it and it works. But still my computer isn't fixed and I have to wait with that...

Greetings
Heidi
Attachments
ZitherChordVisualApproach2_HouseRisingSun.jpg
ZitherChordVisualApproach2_HouseRisingSun.jpg (85.27 KiB) Viewed 947 times