Practice Video - Folie d'Espagne variée

This forum will provide lessons for getting started and exercises for gaining proficiency.

Moderator: Dave

Andy

Practice Video - Folie d'Espagne variée

Post by Andy »

Afternoon everyone!

I wanted to share a piece of music I’ve been working on for the past few months called “Folie d’Espagne variée”. I first heard it being played by Zither Ruth on her YouTube channel, and thankfully she included the name of the music book in the description of her video. Since all of the sheet music I have seems to be old German folk music written in treble clefs, I decided to order the book and see how complicated it all could be.

This has been a departure from the lessons, but having multiple things going on keeps me motivated. I’ll return to the regularly scheduled folk songs next, but it has been great doing something different, and diving head first into bass clef was a great challenge. Excuse my dropped note, this is all still very much a work in progress.

https://youtu.be/BUV5c8V2eIk

- Andy
NutmegCT

Re: Practice Video - Folie d'Espagne variée

Post by NutmegCT »

Andy - that is absolutely beautiful! Congratulations! I could swear you are playing a 16th century lute, from the mellow sounds you create.

And I'd never heard of Zither Ruth until now. Thanks for the reference.

As they say up in New Braunfels, Du bist ein ganz gut Zithermann!

Tom M.
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

That was GREAT! Production quality, with playing at or above the level of some commercial recordings.

Rudi
Musicmaker

Post by Musicmaker »

Thanks Andy.
Great playing and you have mastered the whole song.
Sounds very medieaval. I can imagine them all dancing around being very graceful with that.
It is good to venture into what takes your fancy.
It is not a departure in my humble view but actually " another one under the belt ".
Thanks mate.
Pete
Dave

Post by Dave »

Wonderfully done Andy! You are demonstrating great qualities in your approach to learning the zither. Just keep doing what you’re doing. :-D

These early pieces adapt so well to the Z, and everything I’ve seen from Psalteria (Harald Oberlechner & Isolde Jordan) is top quality (In my humble opinion). Their “ZitherMusig” CD is one of my favorites.

http://www.psalteria.at/english/sc1.html
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz