Saturday, September 20, 2014, North Carolina

Have you recently participated in a zither event, or know where the history of the zither can be experienced firsthand? Share your experiences here.

Moderator: Dave

kenbloom

Saturday, September 20, 2014, North Carolina

Post by kenbloom »

Hi all,

For any of you who might be close to Winston Salem, North Carolina, I will be doing small concert at 1 PM at the Walkertown Library, 2969 Main Street, Walkertown, North Carolina. The concert zither will be the main focus of the concert. It's free, so if you find yourself in the area, please come on by.

Ken Bloom
kenbloom

Re: Saturday, September 20, 2014, North Carolina

Post by kenbloom »

Just a short note about the concert. It went very well. The room was packed and they had to bring in more chairs. For many of the people there, this was their first close up view of a concert zither. I explained how the concert zither is really the more sophsticated cousin of the American Appalachian dulcimer. Even the tuning of the first three fingerboard strings is the same as the tuning that a lot of dulcimer players use.
The instrument was very well received and many folks came up afterwards to get a closer look. All in all, it was a fine afternoon. I do my best to be an ambassador for our beloved instrument!

Ken Bloom
NutmegCT

Post by NutmegCT »

Ken - congratulations on the success.

Say, have you made any recordings? Are there any examples of your playing zither here on the Zither forum?

Thanks.
Tom in Connecticut
kenbloom

Post by kenbloom »

Hi Tom,

There is a bit on Youtube. If you do a search for my name and Nightfall you can hear the trio I did a number of years ago. It's a jazz thing with guitar and bass. Not your usual zither fare. There are also a couple of videos taken at the Unicoi Fall Festival a couple of years ago with me playing bottleneck blues on the zither. I recorded one zither tune on my new CD. It's a Leonard Berstein song from one of his lesser known shows (On The Town) called Some Other Time. I took my inspiration for this one from the playing of Bill Evans. There are a lot of photos of the concert on my Facebook page (under the name Kenneth Bloom).

Ken