Franz Schwarzer Arion Harp Zither

Share your zither photos. Use this forum to discuss zither makers and models.

Moderator: Dave

Dave

Franz Schwarzer Arion Harp Zither

Post by Dave »

The following images of this Franz Schwarzer Arion Harp Zither were sent in by Fred Siedow. It is serial number 2315 and dates to 1886. It features a beautiful shell, engraved mechanic and string holder. Along with the photos, Fred also provided these details regarding its acquisition.

"I have uncovered a "Special Arion Model" from an older couple west of Kerrville, TX.  I became serious about learning to play and acquiring one in mid-feb. and started looking on the web for info on what they are, different types, etc, and to buy one.  Well, I finally did find one, and buy it, but it was a long process w/a recalcitrant seller, and in the meantime I put an ad in the local paper (small town) saying, "ZITHER anyone know about 'em, have one?". The day the ad came out I got a call, "You the guy looking about zithers?";  I said "yup, do you have one, or play it?"  Well, he and his wife had one, he went on and on about how beautiful it was, etc, etc, and they just like to look at it (now and then, as it was in a closet). I went out there, 16 mi out in the boonies, found them;  he was a real character out of an old western mining camp!, but real nice, and his wife, same.  My heart almost popped out of my chest as he opened the case (old, homemade looking), and saw a beautiful Franz Schwarzer Zither, with column, 2 sound holes, and MUCH trim, etc. After a week or two of phone calls, etc, we got together again, and I traded an old good guitar for it! I was thrilled.

They had bought it 7 or 8 yrs ago from a woman who had bought it a couple yrs previously at an estate sale of a man who "was from Chicago".  It had been in with a lot of other stuff!  In the case were 3 beginners' books, a sales receipt from Zapf Music for Louise Taborsky's book for $5.00 on 11-25-85, to Mr. Roman E. Tadeusik of Chicago, and a business card of Mr. Tadeusik."

Thank you Fred for sharing this story and photos!
Attachments
Arion Harp Zither
Arion Harp Zither
2315_arion.jpeg (303.94 KiB) Viewed 2255 times
Mechanic
Mechanic
2315_mechanic.jpeg (412.91 KiB) Viewed 2255 times
String Holder
String Holder
2315_string_holder.jpeg (452.47 KiB) Viewed 2255 times
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz