Sandner model H1

Share your zither photos. Use this forum to discuss zither makers and models.

Moderator: Dave

Evelyn

Sandner model H1

Post by Evelyn »

Made in Bavaria by Walter E Sandner, I bought this zither new about 40 years ago in Munich. It has 35 strings and a Griffbrett Mensur of 45 cm.
IMG_2743 (750x563).jpg
IMG_2743 (750x563).jpg (478.21 KiB) Viewed 4622 times

The makers of the zithers shown below are unknown, as both have lost their labels if ever they had one. The larger zither with the flower decoration dates from the first half of the 20th century and was also made in Bavaria. It has a Griffbrett Mensur of 43 cm and 27 strings. The smallest one of my zithers was made in Austria in the first half of the 19th century. It has a Griffbrett Mensur of 41 cm and 25 strings.

009.JPG
009.JPG (483.5 KiB) Viewed 4622 times
006.JPG
006.JPG (471.5 KiB) Viewed 4622 times
NutmegCT

Re: Sandner model H1

Post by NutmegCT »

Hi Evelyn - welcome to the forum.

That zither at the bottom of your post resembles my Schuster.

How did you get interested in learning zither?

What method books did you use to get started?

Gruss!
Tom M.
Evelyn

Post by Evelyn »

Hello Tom

Thank you very much for your warm words of welcome. I've searched this forum for photos of your Schuster zither, but you don't seem to have posted any.

You ask about how I got interested in learning to play the zither. My mother thought it a good idea for me to learn a musical instrument, and to begin with I used her Amberger zither. This was when I was about seven years old. A zither teacher came to the house once a week, and if memory serves, one of the first Zitherschulen he brought along was Adalbert Albrecht's "Volkstümliche Zitherschule" and also "Im Heimgarten". Boarding school then put an end to my zithering a few years later. My interest, however, persisted and I went back to my zither teacher for more lessons in my late teens. There was another break when moving from Munich to the UK nearly three decades ago, but I have since more or less caught up with (I think) where I'd left off.

Evelyn
NutmegCT

Post by NutmegCT »

Thanks Evelyn. You definitely have an advantage. Your family already knew zither - and you had a teacher! Most visitors to the Forum are/were trying to learn, but there are no teachers, and the long-time members all seem to have learned from family and/or teachers.

I always thought it funny that most zither method books are/were written by zitherists who didn't learn from zither method books!

Here's a photo of my Schuster:
Zither.JPG
Zither.JPG (781.79 KiB) Viewed 4615 times
If you have any videos of your playing posted on YouTube, I'm sure we'd enjoy them.

Tom M.
Evelyn

Post by Evelyn »

Many thanks, Tom, for very kindly posting a photo of your lovely Schuster zither. It does indeed look rather similar in shape to mine, but yours has a mechanic whereas mine does not, and also, the strings of yours are fed through drilled holes.

I do miss my zither teacher and wish that I had asked more questions and paid closer attention when I still had the opportunity. I appreciate your difficulties of trying to learn to play the zither without a teacher. Although zither method books can be extremely helpful, especially for people who are trying to teach themselves, some aspects of playing are very difficult to master without at least some guidance: when there is nobody to regularly supervise and correct, bad habits may easily be acquired, and once established they are difficult to get rid of. It is, however, my impression that the accomplished players in this group are more than happy to advise and assist. Having said that I would like to add that I am impressed and greatly admire the discipline and determination of all those members who are still struggling, but are nevertheless not put off by the challenge!

People in the UK are not familiar with the zither, and friends who have heard me play are always astonished to actually see and hear one 'in the flesh', as it were (they usually ask me to play The Third Man, this apparently being the only piece of zither music they know; from the film, of course). I don't have any videos of my playing, sorry.

Evelyn