Franz Schwarzer Elegy Zither - Model 86

Share your zither photos. Use this forum to discuss zither makers and models.

Moderator: Dave

Dave

Franz Schwarzer Elegy Zither - Model 86

Post by Dave »

This Franz Schwarzer Elegy zither, serial number 10378, dates to 1918. An early catalog provides a description of this particular type of zither:

This Zither is three and one-half inches longer than the concert Zither. It is tuned four tones below concert pitch, or in 'E.' It is an excellent instrument for the accompaniment of songs. It can also be used in Zither clubs as a bass Zither, requiring especially arranged parts.

Selling for ~ $54.00, this Elegy has a "top and veneered with especially prepared Rosewood Burl, sides veneered with genuine Rosewood; ivory celluloid bound edges and inlaid wood purflings; finely engraved German silver patent head; finely finished; in cloth covered, flannel lined wood case, with nickel-plated trimmings."
Attachments
Schwarzer Elegy Zither.
Schwarzer Elegy Zither.
10378_schwarzer.jpg (237.01 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
Schwarzer maker's label.
Schwarzer maker's label.
10378_label.jpg (155.78 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz
JRCOLS

Re: Franz Schwarzer Elegy Zither - Model 86

Post by JRCOLS »

Hi: My old Elegie Zither is almost identical to your model in the photo. Sadly, it has no label or model number stamped on the left end of the fretboard (Griffbret) by the bridge and fret #1. The border inlay or edge binding is similar with its alternating light-dark hatched pattern. The tuning machine (Mechanik) is a gold-colored plating with an old ivory grain in the tuning knobs.
The right side hand rest is the same shape , in a polished rosewood. I looked inside the soundbox with a small mirror and flashlight, under the fretboard side, but only saw very tiny pencil writing that I could not read. So is it possible that another American maker produced my Elegie Zither, or did Franz Schwarzer's luthiers produce this an unmarked production model?
Dave

Re: Franz Schwarzer Elegy Zither - Model 86

Post by Dave »

Without some type of identifying mark, it's difficult to say whether it's American or German made. It's not my understanding that Schwarzer produced unmarked zithers. He did however deal with agents in various cities. The zithers shipped with the Schwarzer label and in some instances the agent would affix their own label with Schwarzer's inside the resonance hole of the instrument.

Attached is an example from a Schwarzer zither sold by Theodohr Lohr in New York City.
Attachments
schwarzer_label.jpg
schwarzer_label.jpg (236.21 KiB) Viewed 1849 times
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz