Help Identify My Zither

Share your zither photos. Use this forum to discuss zither makers and models.

Moderator: Dave

ejohns2000

Help Identify My Zither

Post by ejohns2000 »

I recently purchased the attached Zither and would love to identify it. There are no markings at all. I'm a guitar collector (15) / player and became interested in the Zither. It has 5 fret strings (actually 2 are missing) and 26 other strings. The picture seen thru the sound hole is a farming scene with cows pulling a plow held by an individual.
Attachments
Zither3.jpg
Zither3.jpg (33.5 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
Zither2.jpg
Zither2.jpg (27.31 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
Zither1.jpg
Zither1.jpg (27.45 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
Zither.jpg
Zither.jpg (28.02 KiB) Viewed 1597 times
Dave

Re: Help Identify My Zither

Post by Dave »

There are features that one can use to estimate the age of a zither, such as a whether a mechanic is used, the pin shape and such. Without a maker’s mark however, it would be an exercise that would most likely result in many lost hours. Many zithers (student models for example) were made without a mark as the construction was farmed out to small-scale builders. In some cases, a vendor did the same and would simply affix their own label. So, even a label does not always provide an instrument’s exact point of origin. Could the previous owner have covered up the original label? When you receive it, use a dental mirror to look inside the instrument for additional clues. Congrats on your purchase; hope you enjoy it and welcome to the forum.

Dave
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz
ejohns2000

Re: Help Identify My Zither

Post by ejohns2000 »

Dave, Thank you for your comments....EJ