Franz Schwarzer - Model 21

Share your zither photos. Use this forum to discuss zither makers and models.

Moderator: Dave

Dave

Franz Schwarzer - Model 21

Post by Dave »

A reader of the web site, Terry P., sent in this question regarding their Schwarzer zither.

"Hello. My wife purchased a Franz Schwarzer Zither at an estate sale a few years ago and I was wondering if you could tell me anything about it. It has a Franz Schwarzer label inside which features two gold medallions and a banner which incorporates the words: "First Prize". It also has a number stamped on the fret-board just below the first fret which I assume is the serial number. It is: 6496. It is a fairly "generic-looking" instrument in that there is no inlay and has no ornate decorations on it. It is in a wooden, velvet-lined case which I'm guessing is the original. "

Regarding your zither, you have a Franz Schwarzer 32-string concert zither, model number 21. This instrument, serial number 6496, dates to 1895. This zither was offered as one of Schwarzer's more basic models and originally sold for ~$32, which today would be approximately $850. To put it into perspective, high-end Schwarzer's were selling for $150 - $200.

An early catalog provides the following description for this model:

"Imitation rosewood top, sides and bottom polished black; neatly engraved German silver patent head; wood purflings inlaid around sound-hole and edges; German silver frets; pearl position dots; genuine rosewood hand rest; best quality polished steel tuning pins; finely finished; in cloth covered wood case, flannel lined, nickel-plated corners, catches and trimmings, with lock and leather handle."

The maker's label is a reference to the award Franz Schwarzer received at the Vienna Exposition of 1873. At the exposition he was awarded the "Gold Medal of Progress," the highest award of the fair for his zithers. Quite an accomplishment.

I hope this information proves useful and thank you for your interest in zithers.
Attachments
Schwarzer Model 21 Concert Zither
Schwarzer Model 21 Concert Zither
schwarzer_6496.jpg (146.42 KiB) Viewed 2832 times
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz
Rudy Mueller

Re: Franz Schwarzer - Model 21

Post by Rudy Mueller »

having had two schwarzers, my experience is that tone is inversely proportional to "schmuck" (frosting): the less decoration, the better the tone.

the one with much inlay is now in the schwarzer museum in missouri.

rudy mueller