Tony Godetz - American Grand Harp Zither

Share your zither photos. Use this forum to discuss zither makers and models.

Moderator: Dave

Dave

Tony Godetz - American Grand Harp Zither

Post by Dave »

A reader of the web site shared these photos of a large model zither made by Tony Godetz in Chicago, Illinois. Born in Austria in 1876, Tony arrived in the US in 1909. Along with making zithers, he taught music and performed in public.
Attachments
zither1.jpg
zither1.jpg (348.14 KiB) Viewed 2648 times
label1.jpg
label1.jpg (230.05 KiB) Viewed 2648 times
mechanic1.jpg
mechanic1.jpg (174.69 KiB) Viewed 2648 times
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz
Rudy Mueller

Re: Tony Godetz - American Grand Harp Zither

Post by Rudy Mueller »

The Godetz American Grand Harp Zither looks quite similar to Schwarzer # 10833, which was purchased from my late aunt Ella Mueller Steffens, a former resident of St. Louis Mo.
Attachments
100_0964.JPG
100_0964.JPG (410.96 KiB) Viewed 2627 times
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi Rudy,

As it turns out, there is a very good reason why the Schwarzer and the zither made by Tony Godetz look similar. According to a footnote provided in "Franz Schwarzer: Missouri Zither Maker," published by the Missouri Historical Review, Tony Godetz is credited for the design of this instrument. The footnote reads:

Tony Godetz, a Chicago zither-maker designed the 'Concert Grand' model, which was produced for a short time.

best,
Dave
isarian

Post by isarian »

Hi Rudy,
How does it sound, your Schwarzer 'Concert Grand'? Is that size of any advantage to the Klang? Louder, bigger, fuller?
Thank you,
Sepp
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

schwarzer 10883 002 (Small) (2).jpg
schwarzer 10883 002 (Small) (2).jpg (27.07 KiB) Viewed 2170 times
Guten Morgen Sepp,

The Schwarzer "American Grand Harp Zither" really favors the bass. The reasons are brought forth in this forum, "Zither Makers and Models", "relative body thickness Förg vs Schwarzer 10883". Sepp, if you look for this October 8, 2011 posting, it's on page 2 of the index for the section. I have given this zither the nickname "Boomer", some indication of its tone.

The instrument has a top surface crack running from the right hand bridge to the sounding hole.

There are two re-enforcing ribs glued to the back, approximately 1/4 inch (6 mm?) running from underneath the griffbrett to the rear edge. The ribs on the classic Kerschensteiners seem to be more substantial, so the description as a "piano back" might be questionable. See Photo; taking a picture of black ribs on a black back does not produce the highest quality photo. Regrets.
Attachments
schwarzer 10883 002 (Small).jpg
schwarzer 10883 002 (Small).jpg (27.07 KiB) Viewed 2170 times
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Better Pictures??

Regrets, but hopefully these photographs will clarify the previous discussion.

Rudi
Attachments
schwarzer 10883 003 (Small).jpg
schwarzer 10883 003 (Small).jpg (18.34 KiB) Viewed 2167 times
schwarzer 10883 004 (Small).jpg
schwarzer 10883 004 (Small).jpg (20.7 KiB) Viewed 2167 times
isarian

Post by isarian »

Hi Rudi,
Thank you for the information and all the pictures.
Did Schwarzer actually produce some real piano bottom zithers as well?
Regards, Sepp
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi Sepp,

Attached is a scan from an early Franz Schwarzer catalog that details his piano bottom zithers. Here, Arion and Arion Harp models are shown, and Table zithers mentioned. The piano bottom was used on his Perfecta models, too.

I'm not sure how many of Schwarzer's zithers were constructed with a piano bottom. Considering the total amount sold for each we can gain a rough estimate of at least several hundred, figuring that a certain percentage of the total incorporated this design. These numbers are cited from Franz Schwarzer, Missouri Zither Maker, by Thomas M. Davis and Franz R. Beinke, pg. 15.

Harp Zithers: 692
Arion Zithers: 476
Table Zithers: 151
Perfecta Zithers: 98

Dave
Attachments
piano_bottom.jpg
piano_bottom.jpg (238.93 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller »

Thanks Sepp,

for the push to get me moving. I have been leery, almost afraid, of re-stringing "Tante Ella" a.k.a., "Boomer". However, when one is up against an accordion and a Steirische, the zither player needs all the help available. This instrument came with several replacement strings, still in their original packaging, from the Schwarzer Zither facilities. All that we had were donated to the Schwarzer Museum in Washington MO.

"Tante Ella" will start going to Plattler Prob starting Oct 9; we'll let you know how we fare in the decibel battles. When replacing, I will be careful in the string choice; those original Kontras sound great, but are awful long....

...and here is a question for Andi: how does one measure string tension "IN THE REAL WORLD? Hopefully we'l see him in person next spring for the answer.

The next Zither Sunday here in Wisconsin will probably be October 12. I will have questions for the experts. For all the locals interested, lunch will be Schweinsbraten, Knödl, und Kraut.

Rudi

p.s. we have survived F.C.Bayern/Milwaukee Oktoberfest
isarian

Post by isarian »

Hi Rudi,

Thank you again for all you information. I hope someday I'll be lucky enough to find a nice Schwarzer piano bottom zither.

Any idea where I could find a copy of the 'Franz Schwarzer, Missouri zither maker'?

Have a good time at your next Zither Sunday.

Sepp