Klaus Waldburg's left-hand thumb protection

Do you have news that would be of interest to the zither community, such as a new zither CD release, YouTube video, web site or publication? Post your announcements here.

Moderator: Dave

velocio

Klaus Waldburg's left-hand thumb protection

Post by velocio » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:57 pm

Klaus Waldburg, one of my admired zither virtuosi, uploaded a new piece:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZz8kz573hs

This time, we get to have a look at his hands, and we can see his left-hand thumb protection. I sure would like to get comments and recommendations on that subject - my thumbnail doesn't recover well if I overdo practicing ...

Rudy Mueller

Re: Klaus Waldburg's left-hand thumb protection

Post by Rudy Mueller » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:57 am

WOW!

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:23 pm

One of our zither players from the Philadelphia area used to go to a nail salon just for one nail, his thumb nail. I got to see it and it looked like it was holding up well. He swore by it.
We do not take humor seriously enough. —Konrad Lorenz

Evelyn

Post by Evelyn » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:11 pm

The zither player in this YouTube video appears to be using sellotape. (?) It can best be seen at ~1:20min in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX-2TZYFm-4

Does anyone happen to have the score for the piece the group is playing (Alpbacher Boarischer), perchance?

I use non-woven (plastic) sticking plaster for want of a better solution.

----

Update:
I have replaced plaster with sellotape today. It works rather well (certainly better than plaster) - you hardly know it is there; it does not hinder sliding; and it withstood an hour of vigorous practising without any problems.
Last edited by Evelyn on Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:08 am

One of the local students developed an infection under his right (ring) thumb nail. He ended up seeing a physician, and could not work the griffbrett for over 2 months, essentially losing the nail.

Rudi

Evelyn

Post by Evelyn » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:12 am

Rudy Mueller wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:08 am
One of the local students developed an infection under his right (ring) thumb nail. He ended up seeing a physician, and could not work the griffbrett for over 2 months, essentially losing the nail.

Rudi
Ouch !!!

Rudy Mueller

Post by Rudy Mueller » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:29 pm

I am neither a physician nor a dietitian.....however

having had a split finger-nail on the first finger (#2) of my right hand for several (~20) years, in frustration, started looking at diet. About a year ago, changed diet (SLIGHTLY.... more protein, skim ["mager" auf Deutsch] milk, cheese, and added multi-vitamins) and after about 6 months, the split disappeared. It took years for this to develop, and it was slow going away...

Some recent publications indicate that those over 55 y may have higher protein requirements than those younger.....it appeared on the net...it must be true. Check it out for yourself, talk to your physician and dietitian.

Again, I am neither a physician nor a dietitian.....and at over 80 years my current standard comment is "had I known I was going to live this long, i would have taken better care of myself.... and

take care of yourself.

Rudi